To book an online appointment you must be registered with Handbridge Medical Centre and registered to use Patient Access, please present to the surgery with proof of ID to gain Patient Access registration details.
We currently only offer GP appointments online. But soon hope to offer:
- Blood Tests
- Cervical Smears
- Asthma Reviews
- COPD Reviews
- Long Term Condition Reviews
Please ensure you have read and adhered to our booking conditions before booking; we appreciate the list is extensive, but our aim is to reduce the waste of your time and GP/Nurse time. If ever you are unsure if online booking is appropriate please contact our reception team who can advise. The practice reserves the right to cancel appointments that do not adhere to conditions, we try to do so with notice, but in the event an incorrect booking is not noticed until the appointment time, you may be declined on arrival.
These appointments are with a GP.
- The appointment MUST BE for booked under the log in of the person attending.
- The appointment MUST BE booked with an understandable booking reason. (don't just put anything to bypass the booking reason)
- The appointment MUST BE suitable for routine booking ahead appointments, for an urgent appointment you must call the surgery. In life threatening emergencies always call 999.
- The appointment MUST BE a single appointment (10 minutes) and only regarding one problem. If you have more than one problem, please call our reception team and enquire about a double appointment.
- The appointment MUST BE an appropriate use of GP time; and cannot be dealt with by self care, pharmacist, practice nurse, medicines manager or physio. Check out our making the correct choice page to see if there are alternative options for you.
- These appointments MUST NOT BE: for private medicals, driving medicals, to request letters of support, complaints, for minor surgeries, for a prescription you have on repeat, for anything the practice nurses would deal with (e.g dressings or removal of stiches, cervical smears) (please contact reception in these instances)
Example Acceptable Booking Reasons for GP:
- mental health review
- skin complaint
- ongoing fatigue
- follow up xray/blood results
Example Unacceptable Booking Reasons for GP:
- severe chest pain (this is a medical emergency, attend a&e/dial 999)
- wound on my leg (if happened in last 48hr attend a&e, or practice nurse for review of older wounds.
- I need a repeat prescription (if the item is on repeat, suiting you and you've not been called for a GP review, you do not need to see a GP, simply put in repeat prescription request)
- anxiety and joint pains (as these are 2 separate problems a double appointment would be needed - please contact reception)
Blood Test Appointments
- You MUST BE over 16 years of age. For paediatric bloods, speak to reception.
- The blood test MUST have been requested by a GP or our medicines manager or be a regular blood test you have for you medication.
- You MUST specify when booking what blood test you are having, e.g if you have it for a regular medication monitoring please specify which medication, or if it was requested by a GP and your not sure exactly what bloods have been requested please note 'as per Dr. "name" on "date".
- You MUST NOT book a blood test without a prior request, if you think you need a blood test it must be requested on your file from a GP or our medicines manager.
Example Acceptable Booking Reasons for a Blood Test:
- I have had a note on my prescription to say I am due bloods
- I have monthly bloods to monitor my thyroxine medication
- I saw Dr "" on "" who advised me to book
Example Unacceptable Booking Reasons for a Blood Test:
- I feel tired all the time I want my vitamin/iron levels checking/ I want my cholesterol checking (you cannot submit your own request for a blood test - it must be requested by a GP please speak to reception to discuss arranging a telephone consultation with a GP first)
Cervical Smear Appointments
- You MUST BE eligible and due for a smear.
Patients are called in by letter by the Cervical Screening Programme when they are due for a smear. This is around every 3 years if your aged 25 to 49. Every 5 years aged 50 to 64. You will sent a letter by the cervical screening programme when you are due. Please do not book before you are due as the programme will reject samples taken too early.
- You MUST BE a previously diagnosed asthma patient who is due for annual review.
Patients are called in by letter by the practice when they are due their annual asthma review; this is usually around their birthday month. Patients may also receive notification their asthma review is due via text reminder, verbally from practice staff or by a note on their prescription.
- You MUST NOT book an asthma appointment because you suspect you have asthma. Please contact reception/book a GP appointment so appropriate testing can be arranged.
- You MUST BE a previously diagnosed COPD patient who is due for annual review.
Patients are called in by letter by the practice when they are due their annual COPD review; this is usually around their birthday month. Patients may also receive notification their copd review is due via text reminder, verbally from practice staff or by a note on their prescription.
- You MUST NOT book an COPD appointment because you suspect you have asthma. Please contact reception/book a GP appointment so appropriate testing can be arranged.
Long Term Condition Appointments
- You MUST BE a previously diagnosed long term condition patient (includes; diabetes and heart diseases) who is due for annual review.
Patients are called in by letter by the practice when they are due their annual long term condition review; this is usually around their birthday month. Patients may also receive notification their review is due via text reminder, verbally from practice staff or by a note on their prescription.
- Please note these appointments are only available in the morning, as a blood and urine sample is required and all samples must be collected to send to the hospital for 12pm. These appointments are for your initial review only, if you have already had your initial appointment then contact Reception to book any follow ups that are requested.
Click here to go to Patient Access.